‘Red like Love, as a symbol of passion and tolerance for those affected’.
As the government of Mizoram has decided to set up ‘Red Ribbon Clubs’ in all Colleges across the state, the J. Thankima College Red Ribbon Club was formed on 29th May 2006 and since then various activities have been conducted keeping in mind the objectives and role of the Red Ribbon Club.
Role of the Red Ribbon Club:
- Educate youth with correct, concise and adequate information.
- Enable youth, especially the female students, to identify and understand situations of exploitation and abuse.
- Sensitize the youth regarding care and support needs of PLHIV.
- Increase access to health care services.
- Create linkages between youth and GOs, NGOs and CBOs.
- Organize and facilitate VBD camps and mobilize the youth for VBD.
- Create among the youth a cadre of peer educators.
In pursuance of the resolution passed by the meeting of Campaign Against HIV/AIDS and Accessing Safe Blood held at Durbal Hall, Raj Bhavan on 29th May 2006, the Red Ribbon Club of J. Thankima College was formed and Zairemtluangi, Associate Professor was appointed as Nodal Officer on 18th July 2006 by the Principal, J. Thankima College. In addition to Zairemtluangi, the Principal appointed Lalmuanpuia, Associate Professor, on 30th August 2010.
In pursuance of the resolution passed by the meeting of Campaign Against HIV/AIDS and Accessing Safe Blood held at Durbal Hall, Raj Bhavan on 29th May 2006, the Peer educators were appointed by the Nodal Officers among the students for every academic year usually from among the Students Union Leaders and Class Representatives.
Activities of Red Ribbon Club, Govt. J. Thankima College:
- HIV/AIDS Awareness Campaigns were organized on the College campus on the occasion of the College Week, annually.
- Slogan writing and debate competition with the theme of HIV/AIDS awareness and voluntary blood donations were organized during the College Week, annually.
- Peer Educators are trained every year, organized by MSACS.
- In collaboration with the NSS Units of the College, the RRC jointly organized a Blood Donation Motivation Campaign and blood donation camp in the College every year.
On 3rd October 2017 on the occasion of the ‘National Day for Voluntary Blood Donation’, a Blood Donation Camp was jointly organized by Mizoram State Aids Control Society (MSACS), AVBD, NSS & RRC, Govt. J. Thankima College.